OCCC Automotive Tech Program Is Offering Full-Time Jobs And More To Students
Systems has an automotive program that provides a few different opportunities to anyone interested. There is the “Automotive Technology Internship Program” and the “General Motors Automotive Service Educational Program”. There is also the “Automotive Certificate of Mastery” and that is part of the Maintenance and Light Vehicle Repair Program. Students will also be able to access full-time jobs at various dealerships and repair shops.
The Automotive Technology Internship Program is what allows students to be able to work and go to school. According to OCCC’s website, “This program requires the student to work in an independent shop, a franchise, fleet shop, or non-GM Dealership.” This program in particular has two different degrees. Those degrees being a 21-credit hour Certificate of Mastery or an Associate of Applied Science Degree.
There is also ASEP (Automotive Service Educational Program) which is another program that will give a student the chance to work on cars produced by GM. It also will allow someone to work in a GM dealership to acquire more experience. Brad Walker is the Automotive Technology Director and he said, “You’ll get factory specific certifications. You’ll walk out of here about 80% GM master certified. The other 20% comes from classes the dealership will have to send you to.” Another important thing to keep in mind about this program, and others, is that students have to purchase tools and professional liability insurance through the school. Another automotive tech program that is offered is the Honda PACT. It is not too different from GM’s ASEP. You will be going to school and will be required to work at a Honda/Acura dealership.
The ASEP program and the Honda PACT on their own offer a lot to students but there is even more. Anyone that is interested in Nissan just might enjoy the Nissan Technician Training Academy. There are a few different things that are part of this program. Students who take part in it will be receiving NISSAN & ASE Certification, and Apprenticeship Opportunities. Nissan is even offering a Tuition Reimbursement Incentive Program for students that take part in NTTA.
Talking about the various programs and what they offer is important. But what kind of cars students will be working on is important to know as well. At the moment there are about 40 cars that students will be able to work on ranging from $80,000 trucks to Cadillacs. Students won’t be able to work on their own cars though due to a lack of insurance for them.
There are also various different types of equipment and tools that students will be using to work on these high-end cars. There are of course the various power tools, The Hunter Alignment Machine with ADAS equipment as well. ADAS is Adaptive Driver Alert Systems, and it is what controls things like cruise control for modern cars.
The Automotive Tech program has a lot to offer to anyone who may be wanting to advance their career in the automotive industry. Especially with all the different types of cars you can work on and places you can work.